How to Fix Common Causes of Leaks
- Cracked flashing: Lead flashing is the metal strip(6″, 12″ or 18″) that creates a water-resistant barrier between joints. Metal can crack or corrode from page or deteriorated over time.
- Broken or missing tiles: High winds can break or remove tiles. If broken, lift the shingle with a pry bar until the nails holding it pump up. Gently remove nails and old tiles. Replace with a new one and nail in place.
- Skylight leaks: Skylights can trap water and the frame seals can crack and form leaks. If there’s a problem, clean off debris and repair cracks with clear silicone sealant.
- Clogged gutters: This prevents water from flowing to your downpipes, causing it to pool, best practice is to clean these 2 times a year. Otherwise, clogged gutters will prevent rainwater from running off efficiently and ultimately damage even your foundation.
Average Cost of Roof Repairs Material the Types
|Material||Average Cost to Fix|
|Flat or Single-Ply roofs||€600|
There are many kinds of materials and styles for roofs. These include wood, slate or composite roofing, asphalt tiles, metal, flat, foam or single-ply roofing. You could also have a mix of tile or slate roofing as well. The type of material and style that your roof is will decide the cost. Roofs are easy to repair while slate or tile roofs are among the most difficult.
- The cost to repair a metal roof is €1,300 on average
- If removed and left improperly sealed, fasteners for panels or tiles can leave a point of failure in the roof
- Time can work fasteners loose especially where there is a lot of expansion and contraction
- Leaks between panel fasteners, loose seams can let water through
- Sometimes the seams can work themselves loose and allow water in
- Repairing an asphalt shingle roof costs €710 on average
- Lift up or blow off entirely in high winds
- Most tiles today can withstand 110 mph, but an improperly attached shingle can come off in low winds
- Strong storm winds can lift or remove tiles, loose nails can damage the material
- A weaker section of roof will anchor tiles if there is no nailing strip present.
Composite or Eco Roofing(synthetic)
Pro’s and Con’s
- You’ll pay €400 on average to fix a roof
- Lightweight compared to other tiles or slate
- Prone to extensive damage from high winds
- Asphalt roofs may lose a handful of tiles, composite roofs can lose entire sections
- Can lift up more easily than ordinary asphalt tiles and allow water to blow in beneath
- The stone granules begin to come off easily when they require replacement.
- Repairing a slate roof costs €1,300 on average
- If nailed too tightly, edges can stick up and cause leakage problems
- Prone to ice-damming, when ice builds up and melts into your ceiling
- Expect to pay about €1,000 to repair a tile roof in the dublin area
- Potential for cracked or sliding tiles to expose under laying of roof and cause leaks
- May leak from day one and allow water underneath tiles
- Heat damage is possible from the sun
- Galvanized steel can corrode and form holes that let water through
- New tile roofs cost much more than a repair job
- Flat roof repairs cost €400 on average but may rise to 8.000 depending on the level of damage
- Sags can appear in flat roofs that cause water to pool, which eventually collapsing the roof entirely
- Insulation board can act like a sponge and trap water, causing mold growth
- Rubber roofs cost more to install than to repair on adv. €6.000 to €12.000 euro.
Fibreglass Roof Repair if you are looking for quality, there’s fibreglass, its effectiveness, beautiful it has a reputation of being a durable and long lasting material. Its nature is not suitable for some situations, but advances in materials in recent years have made fibreglass roofing more reliable and very durable. Costs are around €65 per sqm on domestic-sized roofs and should be able to last for about 20-30 years. See more at http://www.fibreglassroofing.ie
Roof Repair Causes
Most roof leaks are similar in nature and are due to the same types of problems.
- Blown off or missing tiles:
- Lift up in high winds
- Lighter materials are more prone to peeling up
- Without tiles, the felt and roof deck are exposed to elements
- Leaking roof flashing repairs:
- Located around chimneys, skylights, roof valleys and more
- Flashing redirects water to protect your roof
- Can leak if it comes loose
- Leaks also possible if weather affects flashing
- Sagging roof repairs:
- A sagging roof is unstable and unsafe
- Caused by weight, wear and tear and rot.
- Bad or leaking pipe flashing:
- Vent pipes sit underneath your roof material (usually seen in mobile homes)
- Corrosion of pipe flashing or the sealant can allow water to seep through
- Chimney/skylight step flashing:
- Can leak if high winds pull it away from your chimney or roof
- Can leak if the sealant no longer works
- Skylights are trickier to diagnose
- In skylights, what looks like a leak could just be condensation
- A cracked skylight or worn seals can allow leaks to form
- Valleys are little gutters that run down interior angles on your roof
- Lifting tiles, fungus build-up and improper cleaning can damage flashing
- Valleys channel most rainwater using gravity
- Low slope/inadequate roof pitch:
- Low slope roofs are susceptible to wind damage
- Often don’t provide good run-off in regions that see a lot of rain
If you notice any of these signs of damage, you should call a roofing specialist immediately to get the problem fixed.
Garage Roof Repair Costs
The cost to replace a garage roof is about €1,000. The price vary garage roof repairs, depends on the size, damage and materials used. In general, you can expect to pay a bit less for garage roof fixes than for regular roof repairs due to the smaller square footage (which saves immediately on repairs and bills).
Fascia and Soffits Repairs
The average cost to repair fascia and soffits in dublin is €3,300. Fascia is available in wood or PVC and costs around €10 to €30 per 8-foot board. Soffit panels cost around €20 for a 12-foot board.
Fascia and soffit are more than just decorative edging and an enclosed overhang. It protects the roof structure from the elements even animals namely birds. Fascia is vertical board that protects your trusses. Soffit runs horizontally and is an great place for insects and small animals to shelter.
Repairing Roof Trusses
Roof trusses cost €2.00 to €8.00 per square foot. These are the main structures that support your roof. Leaks often run along the trusses before dripping down onto your ceiling, so be sure to inspect this area for damage. Brown patches on the calling are the first signs of leaks.
If your trusses are drooping, sagging or moldy or if you have any doubts, call a roofer for an inspection. Some molds are dangerous, if not lethal, to inhale. The repair cost for trusses is difficult to estimate as damage varies quite a bit. If your roof truss is so badly damaged that repair is impossible, replacing them can cost thousands of dollars. Be sure to check them out thoroughly!
When cleaning your gutters. It can be time-consuming and messy job removing leaves etc. However, this job is one of the simplest things you can do to keep your roof protected, otherwise:
- They can trap water and deteriorate the fascia, the trusses, the underlayment/felt can start to fall apart.
- They leak or fall away from the house and allow water to pool up around your foundation.
It costs only €2 to €4 to patch gutter holes with a tube of waterproof roofing cement. The patch material must be the same material as the gutter to prevent corrosion, which can occur between different metals and causes eating away at the weaker materials. Otherwise, you may need to pay the cost to install or replace gutters that are broken or sagging.
- Replacing a 10-foot section of gutter: €8-€12
- Buying hangers: €2 – €4 each
- Replacing a joiner: about €4.00 for each
Where to Look for Roof Leaks
With many different roof styles that are made of many different materials, there are some common areas that are prone to leaks. The most common places to check for leaks are listed below:
- Skylight: You can patch a skylight with a tube of clear silicone sealant. Broken or damaged flashing costs between €40 to €120. If left to waste away.
- Flashing: costs €20 to €60. The metal to protect the roof valleys age, corrode and crack ultimately causing leaks.
- Valleys Repair: costs around €40 for a 10-foot long piece. Angles formed when two sloped panels come together are valleys. Roofers cut tiles or slates to fit the shape of the valley. Badly cut valleys cause gaps that allow water under the tiles and drops onto your ceiling area.
- Chimneys: Chimney flashing costs around €40. Corroded flashing can cause leaks from your chimney..
Find out does your insurance, cover roof repairs?
Insurance companies typically cover some roof repairs. Insurance usually does not cover leaks caused by age, wear and tear, or a lack of maintenance. Each insurance policy is different, so be sure to read yours carefully.
These values are all approx and not regarded as a quote
Get your calculated costs by moving the handles below